A sleep specialist is a healthcare professional(usually physicians) who specializes in diagnosing and treating sleep disorders. Sleep specialists can be either medical doctors (MDs) or doctors of osteopathic medicine (DOs) who have received specialized training in the field of sleep medicine.
Training and education
Sleep specialists are trained to diagnose and treat a wide range of sleep disorders, including insomnia, sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, narcolepsy, and other sleep-related conditions. They work closely with patients to evaluate their sleep patterns, symptoms, and overall health, and to determine the underlying cause of their sleep disorders.
Sleep specialists use a variety of diagnostic tools, including sleep studies (such as polysomnography), home sleep study, questionnaires, and physical exams, to evaluate patients and develop treatment plans. Treatment options may include lifestyle changes, medications, and/or devices (such as continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machines).
Consulting sleep specialists
Sleep specialists play a critical role in helping people achieve better sleep and improve their overall health and quality of life. If you are experiencing symptoms of a sleep disorder, such as excessive daytime sleepiness, difficulty falling or staying asleep, snoring, or gasping for air during sleep, it is important to speak with your healthcare provider about a referral to a sleep specialist.
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine. (2021). Find a Sleep Specialist. Retrieved from https://aasm.org/find-a-sleep-specialist/
- National Sleep Foundation. (2021). Sleep Specialist. Retrieved from https://www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-specialist
- Mayo Clinic. (2021). Sleep Specialist. Retrieved from https://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/sleep-center/expert-services/sleep-specialist/overview/pac-20395119
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2021). Sleep Disorders. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/sleep_disorders_detection.html
- World Health Organization. (2021). Sleep Disorders. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/news-room/questions-and-answers/item/sleep-disorders
|Sleep medicine navigation.|
|Circadian rhythm disorders|
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers
- New York:
- Brooklyn: W8MD's NYC Medical Weight Loss, sleep and medspa 2632 E.21st Street Ste L3, Brooklyn, New York 11235. Call (718) 946 5500
- Philadelphia: Poly-Tech Sleep & W8MD Philadelphia Medical Weight Loss 1718, Welsh Rd, Philadelphia, PA, 19115. Call (215) 676 2334
- King of Prussia: Poly-Tech Sleep & W8MD King of Prussia Medical Weight Loss, Sleep and Medspa 175 Strafford Avenue, Wayne PA 19087 - Executive Commons Ste 1. (215) 676-2334.
- New Jersey
- Cherry Hill: (coming soon) W8MD's New Jersey Weight Loss, Sleep Clinic 140 E Evesham Rd, Cherry Hill, NJ 08003 (215) 676 2334