Pregnancy and sleep
Pregnancy can have a significant impact on a woman's sleep patterns and quality. As the pregnancy progresses, changes in the body, such as physical discomfort, hormonal changes, and an increase in bathroom trips, can all contribute to disrupted sleep.
Common sleep problems in pregnant women
Some common sleep issues during pregnancy include:
- Insomnia: Insomnia, or difficulty falling or staying asleep, is a common complaint among pregnant women.
- Snoring: Snoring can become more frequent during pregnancy, due to the increased weight on the airways.
- Restless leg syndrome (RLS): RLS, a condition that causes an irresistible urge to move the legs, is more common in pregnant women.
- Sleep apnea: Sleep apnea, a condition in which a person stops breathing briefly during sleep, can occur during pregnancy, particularly in women who are overweight or obese.
- Physical discomfort: As the pregnancy progresses, physical discomfort, such as back pain, leg cramps, and heartburn, can all impact sleep quality.
To improve sleep during pregnancy, it is important to maintain a consistent sleep schedule, create a sleep-conducive environment, and engage in physical activity during the day. Additionally, sleeping on your left side can help alleviate physical discomfort and improve circulation. If you are experiencing persistent sleep problems during pregnancy, it is important to speak with your doctor, as some sleep aids may not be safe for use during pregnancy.
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers
- New York:
- Brooklyn: W8MD's NYC Medical Weight Loss, sleep and medspa 2632 E.21st Street Ste L3, Brooklyn, New York 11235. Call (718) 946 5500
- Philadelphia: Poly-Tech Sleep & W8MD Philadelphia Medical Weight Loss 1718, Welsh Rd, Philadelphia, PA, 19115. Call (215) 676 2334
- King of Prussia: Poly-Tech Sleep & W8MD King of Prussia Medical Weight Loss, Sleep and Medspa 175 Strafford Avenue, Wayne PA 19087 - Executive Commons Ste 1. (215) 676-2334.
- New Jersey
- Cherry Hill: (coming soon) W8MD's New Jersey Weight Loss, Sleep Clinic 140 E Evesham Rd, Cherry Hill, NJ 08003 (215) 676 2334
Call (718) 946-5500
This is a short summary article. For quality control, we do not encourage or allow strangers to edit the content.