Adderall is a stimulant medication that is commonly used in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and narcolepsy.
Mechanism of action
It works by increasing the levels of neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and norepinephrine, in the brain. This leads to improved attention, alertness, and energy levels.
Use in narcolepsy
In people with narcolepsy, a sleep disorder characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness and sudden sleep attacks, Adderall can help improve wakefulness and reduce sleepiness. The medication is usually taken in the morning and can help regulate the sleep-wake cycle, allowing for more consistent wakefulness throughout the day.
Use in hypersomnias
In cases of hypersomnia, a condition characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness, Adderall may be used to help increase wakefulness and reduce fatigue. However, it is important to note that hypersomnia can be caused by a variety of underlying medical conditions and the use of Adderall may not be appropriate in all cases.
It is important to note that while Adderall can be effective in treating sleep disorders such as narcolepsy and hypersomnia, it is a controlled substance and should only be taken under the supervision of a healthcare professional and risks and benefits properly considered before using it.
The use of Adderall can also be associated with side effects, such as decreased appetite, anxiety, and insomnia, and it is important to monitor these symptoms and adjust the medication as necessary.
- American Sleep Association. (2021). Narcolepsy. https://www.sleepassociation.org/patients-general/narcolepsy/
- American Sleep Association. (2021). Hypersomnia. https://www.sleepassociation.org/patients-General/hypersomnia/
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. (2021). Adderall. https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a601234.html
- Adderall XR
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers
- New York:
- Brooklyn: W8MD's NYC Medical Weight Loss, sleep and medspa 2632 E.21st Street Ste L3, Brooklyn, New York 11235. Call (718) 946 5500
- Philadelphia: Poly-Tech Sleep & W8MD Philadelphia Medical Weight Loss 1718, Welsh Rd, Philadelphia, PA, 19115. Call (215) 676 2334
- King of Prussia: Poly-Tech Sleep & W8MD King of Prussia Medical Weight Loss, Sleep and Medspa 175 Strafford Avenue, Wayne PA 19087 - Executive Commons Ste 1. (215) 676-2334.
- New Jersey
- Cherry Hill: (coming soon) W8MD's New Jersey Weight Loss, Sleep Clinic 140 E Evesham Rd, Cherry Hill, NJ 08003 (215) 676 2334
Call (718) 946-5500
- Sleep clinics
- Sleep clinics USA
- Sleep clinics New York
- Sleep clinics New York City
- Combination drugs
- Drugs acting on the cardiovascular system
- Drugs acting on the nervous system
- Ergogenic aids
- Excitatory amino acid reuptake inhibitors
- 5-HT1A agonists
- Norepinephrine-dopamine releasing agents
- Racemic mixtures
- Substituted amphetamines
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company brands
- TAAR1 agonists
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder management
- VMAT inhibitors
- World Anti-Doping Agency prohibited substances