Sleep medicine is a subspecialty of medicine that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders. Sleep medicine practitioners work to help individuals who have difficulty sleeping or who experience symptoms such as excessive daytime sleepiness, snoring, and insomnia.
Sleep medicine involves the use of diagnostic tools such as polysomnography (a sleep study that records brain activity, eye movement, and muscle activity), multiple sleep latency tests (to measure the time it takes to fall asleep during the day), and actigraphy (to measure sleep and wake patterns using a wearable device). Based on the results of these tests and a comprehensive medical history, sleep medicine practitioners will diagnose sleep disorders and develop individualized treatment plans that may include lifestyle modifications, behavioral therapies, and medications.
Common sleep disorders
Some common sleep disorders that sleep medicine practitioners treat include:
- Insomnia: Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep.
- Sleep apnea: Brief interruptions in breathing during sleep.
- Narcolepsy: Excessive daytime sleepiness and sudden, uncontrollable episodes of sleep.
- Restless leg syndrome: Uncomfortable sensations in the legs during rest and an urge to move them.
- Sleepwalking: Performing activities such as walking or eating during sleep without being fully aware.
Sleep medicine is a subspecialty of medicine that focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders. Sleep medicine practitioners use diagnostic tools and medical history to diagnose sleep disorders and develop individualized treatment plans to help individuals get the sleep they need to function at their best.
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medspa Centers
- New York:
- Brooklyn: W8MD's NYC Medical Weight Loss, sleep and medspa 2632 E.21st Street Ste L3, Brooklyn, New York 11235. Call (718) 946 5500
- Philadelphia: Poly-Tech Sleep & W8MD Philadelphia Medical Weight Loss 1718, Welsh Rd, Philadelphia, PA, 19115. Call (215) 676 2334
- King of Prussia: Poly-Tech Sleep & W8MD King of Prussia Medical Weight Loss, Sleep and Medspa 175 Strafford Avenue, Wayne PA 19087 - Executive Commons Ste 1. (215) 676-2334.
- New Jersey
- Cherry Hill: (coming soon) W8MD's New Jersey Weight Loss, Sleep Clinic 140 E Evesham Rd, Cherry Hill, NJ 08003 (215) 676 2334
Call (718) 946-5500
This is a short summary article. For quality control, we do not encourage or allow strangers to edit the content.