Incidence of sleep apnea in NYC
Approximately, about 3-7% of men and 2-5% of women have sleep apnea to moderate to severe degree with a total of 22 million Americans suffering from sleep apnea. Worldwide, it is estimated that over 100 million people suffer from sleep apnea. The city of New York likely has similar incidence as the rest of the United States although exact data is not available. Unfortunately, 80% of those that have sleep apnea are still undiagnosed and unaware that they might have sleep apnea. There are different types of sleep apnea such as obstructive sleep apnea which is the most common type of sleep apnea, central sleep apnea and mixed sleep apnea.
Consequences of obstructive sleep apnea
Untreated sleep apnea can have serious health consequences including increased risk of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, stroke, excessive daytime sleepiness leading to increased risk of accidents, and even death.
How to diagnose obstructive sleep apnea?
The only way to properly diagnose obstructive sleep apnea is by doing a sleep study. Traditionally, obstructive sleep apnea is diagnosed with an in the sleep lab sleep study. However, this was uncomfortable and cumbersome to many patients as they are not sleeping in their own bed, and sometimes, even the timing of sleep might be different as the sleep labs can only do sleep studies at certain times but people sleep at all different times. Fortunately, there are home sleep studies now available that make it more comfortable so you can sleep on your own bed and and set your own timings to do the sleep study.
The at home sleep studies involve taking a sleep diagnostic kit which has just a few sensors such as a pulse oximeter, a sensor on the nose that senses air movements and a belt on the abdomen that tests for breathing effort. It is simple, easy and more convenient compared to the in lab sleep studies.
Where to get tested for obstructive sleep apnea in New York City?
If you live in or around New York City, and need tested or treated for either obstructive, central, mixed type of sleep apnea or have other sleep disorders, we can help. We offer both in lab sleep studies as well as the more convenient home sleep studies for fast sleep study results. With two convenient locations in greater New York City, in Brooklyn and Manhattan, there has never been a better time to get tested or treated for obstructive sleep apnea in New York City in a fast and efficient way with board certified sleep doctors in NYC.
Highlights of obstructive sleep apnea management in NYC
- We offer fast sleep apnea diagnosis and treatment
- We can do home or in lab sleep studies to diagnose sleep apnea
- We can educate you what causes sleep apnea, its symptoms and offer appropriate sleep apnea tests including home sleep studies
- If diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, we can offer sleep apnea machine called CPAP
- Our physician(s) are board certified in sleep medicine and can diagnose and treat any of the over 90 different sleep disorders
- We have convenient evening and weekend hours and no waiting lists for fast and efficient sleep doctor appointment, sleep studies and follow up
- We can prescribe treatment for sleep apnea such as continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP), BiPAP, Auto PAP etc
- We accept most health insurances for both sleep doctor consultations and sleep studies in NYC
Call us today at 718 946 5500